Chopta Tungnath & Chandrashila Trek
Chopta Tungnath and Chandrashila Trek
Tungnath is one of the highest Shiva temples in the world and is the highest of the five Panch Kedar temples located in the Rudraprayag district, in the Indian state of Uttarakhand. The Tungnath mountains form the Mandakini and Alaknanda river valleys.
Chandrashila is the summit above Tungnath temple. It literally means "Moon Rock". It is located at a height of about 3,690 metres above sea level. This peak provides views of the Himalayas, including Nandadevi, Trisul, Kedar Peak, Bandarpunch and Chaukhamba peaks. There are various legends associated with this place.
Chopta is a small region of meadows and evergreen forest area, a part of Kedarnath wildlife sanctuary located in Uttarakhand state, India and a base for trekking to Tungnath, the third temple of Panch Kedar which lies 3.5 kilometres away.
History of Chandrashila
There are various legends associated with this place. According to a popular legend, this is the place where Lord Ram meditated after defeating the demon-king Ravana. Another legend says that moon God Chandra spent time here in penance. Chandrashila or the 'Moon Rock' clearly had some story to its name. While some said Moon God spent time here in penance others believed it to be the meditation grounds of Lord Rama. Whilst one may argue over their reality, but none could argue about the peace that 360 degree panoramic view of the Himalayas that it offered. Blessed from the beginning to the end, even the milestones, which included the tallest Shiva temple in the world weren't less worthy of attention.
Chandrashila Bird Watching and Animals
Dugalbitta lies on the way to Chopta and is an excellent spot for bird watching. Famous birds of this region includes- Fire-tailed Sunbird, Brown Dipper, Kingfisher, Woodpeckers, and Russet Sparrow among others.
- Mandal Village
Located 24 km from Chopta, Mandal is a scenic village offering a rich variety of birds. Famous birds spotted in this region are- Red Billed, Yellow Billed, Blue Magpie, Oriental Turtle Dive, etc.
- Makku Village (Makkumath)
Makku Village is home to various species of birds such as Long-tailed Minivets, Russet Sparrow, Golden Bush Robin, Pine Thrush, Yelloe-rumpedHoneyguide
- En route Tungnath Trek
The trek route from Chopta to Tungnath is surrounded by snow-capped mountains, alpine forests, and diverse flora and faunas. You will come across many rare species of birds here which serves as a delight to watch.
Mountain Ranges Visible From Chandrashila
Chandrashila is the summit above Tungnath temple. It literally means "Moon Rock". It is located at a height of about 3,690 metres (12,110 ft) above sea level. This peak provides views of the Himalayas, including Nandadevi, Trisul, Kedar Peak, Bandarpunch and Chaukhamba peaks.
Why You Should Go for Chandrashila Trek
Chandrashila trek is famous for its 360 Degree Himalayan Views, its easy grade of trekking, snow during winters, meadows and also its proximity to Tungnath Temple.
Brief Details of Chopta Tungnath & Chandrashila Trek
- Proper conditioning & training of the body is required.
- Need proper gear & clothing for sub-zero temperature.
- Shoes are the single most important equipment.
- But it is necessary to be fit to do this trek.
- And you can do this trek in the year; these are the plan for both summer and winter.
- For Winter Trek, I think it is necessary for people from 7 years to 65 years.
- This trek will be a relief and joy for the first time visitors. This trek will increase new energy and confidence in you.
- Winter & Post monsoon or pre-monsoon is the best time. During rains, the region is prone to landslides.
- Beautiful landscapes so carry good photo gear & Extra battery backup.
- Personal use Medical Kit Mandatory for During the trek.
Altitude we are going to cover in Chopta Tungnath & Chandrashila Trek
- Chopta – Altitude is – 2,608, meters
- Tungnath – Altitude is -3,680 meters
- Chandrashila Peak – Altitude is – 3690 meters
Key Points of Chopta Tungnath & Chandrashila Trek
- Duration: – 3 Days and 2 Nights from Rishikesh to Rishikesh
- Chopta Chandrashila trek Costs- Per Person Rs. 6,999/- from Rishikesh to Rishikesh
- Base camp: – Chopta
- Summer Temperature: – Day (5°C to 17°C) Night (2° C to 10° C)
- Winter Temperature: – Day (-1°C to -5° C) Night (-5°C to -12°C)
- Best Time: – I can go through the whole year
- Trek Level: – Easy-Moderate
- Trek distance: – On foot 15 Km – By taxi 432 km
- Group Size: – We will have a minimum group size of 6 people and a maximum 20 people, if someone has to be private for their group, then you will be given a full date.
Short Itinerary of Chopta Chandrashila Trek
Day 1- Pickup to you form Rishikesh railway station to Chopta - (162 km) (5/6 Hours) (2709 Meter) (8888 feet) Overnight stay. Camp/ Hotel
Day 2 – Trek from Chopta to Tungnath, chandrashila peck Summit and back to Chopta / Devriya tal (12 km) Trek Up & Doun (6/7 Hours) (3690 Meter) (12110 feet) Overnight stay camp/ Hotel
Day 3 – Drive from Devriya tal / Chopta to Rishikesh Railway station (192 km) (6/7 hours)
- Accommodation in tents on twin share basis
- All meals: breakfast, packed lunch, tea, coffee, snacks, soup and dinner
- High quality tents
- Sleeping bags
- Separate Toilet tents – Ladies and Gents
- Dining Tent
- Dining Table
- Personal Insurance
- Medical Certificate
- Personal toiletry Items and Personal Medicine kit