Kedarnath Dham Trek
Kedarnath Trek the India’s Most Popular Destination in Uttarakhand Himalayas
Kedarnath Trek is a remote but highly celebrated pilgrimage site of the famous ‘Char Dham’ in the Rudraprayag district of Uttarakhand. At an astounding location of 3583m Kedarnath lies near Chorabari Glacier, the birthplace of Mandakini River and is surrounded by various snow-capped peaks. The famous Kedarnath Mountain also lies in the vicinity to the site of Kedarnath. The Hindu pilgrimage site is visited every year by thousands of devotees from all around India.
Many Peoples thinks the Kedarnath Trek and Kedarkantha Trek are the same but these both are different Treks and also located in different location. Kedarnath Trek located in Rudraprayag district and Kedarkantha Trek located in Uttarakashi district in Uttarkhand.
In local dialect ‘Kedarnath’ means ‘lord of fields’; according to a local legend it is believed that Lord shiva hid in an assumption of a bull trying to avoid the Pandavas. Bhima, one of the brothers from Pandavas, recognized lord Shiva and tried to capture the bull through its tail and hind legs. Just before Bhima could fully grasp the bull, it disappeared into the ground only to later appear in many forms across the region. The hump of this bull appeared in Kedarnath where it is believed that Pandavas built the temple and later worshipped it.
Kedarnath should not be mistaken as any easy trek, hikers not accustomed to long journeys and altitudes might face some problems, hence it is generally advisable that trekkers practice a reasonable amount of physical fitness.
A special place of Lord Shiva in Himalayas of Uttarakhand
Kedarnath is a place where a special form of Lord Shiva is seen. Kedarnath Temple is one of the holy pilgrimage sites in the state of Uttarakhand, northern India, located on the banks of the Mandakini river and is a beautiful place in the lap of Himalayas, which is known as Kedarnath. The name of the historical heritage of this area is “Kedar Khand”. Kedarnath temple is a special part of Char Dham Yatra and Panch Kedar in Uttarakhand state and it is known among the 12 Jyotirlingas of Lord Shiva in India.
Kedarnath This is the most remote place among all the Char Dham sites where Shiva is the Taposthali, and is surrounded by snow-capped mountains that attract thieves and people to itself. Known for its ancient Shiva temple, a visit to Kedarnath Dham is a beautiful and mind-blowing exhilarating experience. Like other places, Kedarnath temple closes on the first day of Hindu month Kartik October-November and every year Baba Kedarnath ji’s door opens again for his devotees in Vaishakh April-May
Where do worship Lord Kedarnath in Uttarakhand ?
When Lord Shiva is shifted from Kedarnath to Ukhimath Dham, this Shiva temple remains submerged in snow for almost half a year 6 months. Where sages dedicate themselves to the feet of Baba Kedar even in the winter season, they worship him and do meditation yoga. According to a legend, it is said that Lord Shiva is seen in various forms such as arms in Tungnath temple, face in Rudranath temple, stomach in Madmaheshwar temple and head in Kalpeshwar temple with his hair. give. Kedarnath and the above four temples are considered as Panch Kedar. Where Lord Shiva is worshiped in all the Dhams.
Key Points of Kedarnath Trek
|Duration||3 Nights 4 Days from Haridwar to Haridwar (please keep a day or two spare for the schedule considering, acclimatization and weather conditions)|
|Terrain Type||Trails, steep at points|
|Temperature||Day (13°C to 18° C) Night (0°C to 7°C)|
|Trek Weather||Winters are covered with snow summits and peaks whereas summers experience higher temperatures|
|Best Time:||April, May, June, September, October, and post monsoon season, which occurs after and before the temple gates open and close.|
|Trek distance:||38 km on foot and 423 km by taxi|
|Group Size:||A minimum group size of 5 people and a maximum of 30 people.
(In case anyone wants to book a private tour for their friends and family we provide a different procedure for it)
Some of the trek highlights of Kedarnath Trek
Even before the trek starts trekkers are introduced to many lavishing vistas of Rishikesh, Devprayag and Rudrapryag. The magical confluence of Alaknanda & Bhagirathi at Devprayag and Alaknanda with Mandakini at Rudraprayag is an inner outer experience. Beautiful temples at every few kilometers clearly stamps that yes trekkers are indeed at the Land of Gods ‘Uttarakhand”.
The trek officially commences from Gaurikund covering many campsites along the way. Jungle Chatti, Bheembali, and Linchauli are some of the camps we pass during the trek. The entirety of journey trekkers would find devotees chanting and celebrating the trail. Echo of “Har Har Mahadev” fills you with an exceptional spiritual embodiment.
The final reach of Kedarnath is enough to overwhelm devotees with the chants of “Mahadev”. Temple covered in long ribbons of marigold garlands, long happy queues of devotees and the calmness of the Kedarnath. Everything about this place will capture you in its essence.
Things to Look out for-
- Souvenirs from Rishikesh are great for memories.
- There are countless photogenic vistas, so we recommend that you prepare yourself for any aesthetic shoots. The best pictures are those taken under a blue sky with snow-covered peaks in the background.
- Explore the tranquility of this holy site and submerge yourself in “Baba Kedar’s” blessings.
The altitude covered in Kedarnath Trek
- Rishikesh-340 m
- Sonprayag-1829 m
- Gaurikund-1982 m
- Kedarnath-3583 m
Best Time to Visit Kedarnath Trek
Kedarnath temple is best visited during the summer months of April to June. and September to Last October. Families and friends can enjoy the mild temperatures of these months. The unfavorable temperatures and precipitation make this trek a per and post monsoon season trek. Temperatures typically range from 15 to 20 degrees Celsius during the day, with substantially colder nights.
1) Is it safe?
2) Difficulty level
3) Weather conditions
4) Things to carry
5) Connectivity and transaction
6) How to reach
7) Short Itinerary
Is Kedarnath Trek is safe?
Set amidst the high altitude ranges, concerns regarding Kedarnath Trek safety are undeniably very valid questions. Yes the trek to Kedarnath is indeed very safe and reliable, new trails and much clearer safety protocols are sure to easy anyone’s concern.
Difficulty level in Kedarnath Trek
Because the top is relatively high in elevation for any beginner level trekkers we strongly recommend a reasonable level of physical fitness. We advise trekkers to physically and mentally prepare themselves prior to this trek.
Any medical assistance that is required will be provided at any point of the journey; however, trekkers must consult their professional care before beginning any trek. We also strongly advise trekkers to learn about altitude sickness and to notify our teams as soon as any symptoms appear.
Weather conditions depend on the time of the year trekkers are travelling. In the months leading up to and following the monsoon season, the daytime temperatures are moderate, but the nighttime temperatures are significantly lower. Monsoons receive moderate to heavy rainfall.
Things to carry in Kedarnath Trek
1) Because nights at elevations tend to be considerably colder, we suggest having well-graded, warm and comfortable clothing along with good quality shoes.
2) Despite the fact that we handle medical crises, we urge individuals to keep their emergency kits at hand in any case of personal underlying illnesses.
3) Since the journey provides you with a picturesque view of many peaks, don’t forget to bring your camera along with extra batteries.
4) Our staff will consult with fellow trekkers about their luggage and, if lacking, will assist trekkers in obtaining any necessary equipment. Only the relevant luggage should be brought, as a result.
Other trekking Essentials-
Connectivity and Transactions
1) Because connectivity along the route is unpredictable, we urge people to do all of their work ahead of time.
2) Last ATM transactions available will be at Gaurikund but we recommend travelers to collect cash beforehand or while in Rishikesh as ATMs available at other places might not dispense cash at times.
How to Reach Kedarnath Trek
If you are travelling from any metropolitan city in India or from outside India, getting to the capital city of Delhi may be the first and most important step. All major modes of transportation, such as air, road, and rail, can take you to Delhi.
Rishikesh is connected to most major cities in India via all chief modes of transportation. Trekkers could perhaps conduct extensive research for their direct mode of transportation to ensure a much smoother arrival.
By air– Jolly Grant Airport is the nearest airport to Rishikesh. It is well connected to Delhi and many chief cities with daily flights. Thereafter, you can reach Haridwar by bus or taxi
How to reach Haridwar from Delhi
By road-Delhi has direct road routes to Haridwar. Trekkers will have to book either a bus or private cabs. Prior booking for cabs and buses are easily available at various sites.
By railway– Nearest Railway station to Rishikesh will be Rishikesh Railway station. Since Rishikesh is connected to all major railway routes, trekkers can opt for a direct route or via Delhi. They can also opt for direct trains to Dehradun or Haridwar.
.Some important points to note-
- Please note that we don’t provide timings schedules for transportation before Haridwar. Subjected to various conditions the scheduled timings and availability of particular rides may differ. We recommend trekkers to reach out to our teams for any queries. You can drop an email or call us for an initial guided session.
- Our teams will be collecting trekkers at fixed points of airports, railway stations and bus stands.
- It is recommended that unless any delay arrives, trekkers are advised to reach the destinations at least 2 hours prior.
Also Read About – Safety Tips For Safe Trekking.
Preparations before the Trek
You’ve to understand that treks are away from cities and medical help is not always easily available. So, if you are heading for an adventurous trekking trip, stick to certain trekking guidelines and tips. Following these simple tips will help make the trek more fun and experiential for you as well as your fellow trekkers.
These tips and guidelines cater to useful and requisite information about your fitness training, packing and health precautions to be taken before and during the trek.
- Firstly, when you start, target 5 km in 40 minutes
- Then gradually increase your pace by running at least 4 times a week. Then try to bring it down to 5 km in less than 37 minutes
- If you are a person who prefers cycling over running then your target must be 22 km means you should be able to cover 22 km in 60 minutes.
- Walking is a great exercise that gives great shape to your legs and your body. It helps in burning calories and cut down excess weight and strengthens the heart.
- Jogging is effective in increasing the human lifespan and makes your lungs stronger. It is an aerobic activity that requires a lot of oxygen. This is a great exercise for fighting obesity and staying healthy.
- Squats are the best form of functional exercises to improve stability. They also strengthen your legs, thighs, hips, and hamstring.
- Another great cardiovascular exercise is pushing your body upstairs after stairs. This is regarded as the best exercise for increasing strength and power
What to pack for Kedarnath Trek
Warm clothes, sleeves, wind shelter, comfortable clothing, and extra warm clothes so that you can enjoy trekking. A raincoat is the necessary
Footwear: A well-fitted trekking footwear shoes are highly recommended. If you wear an uncomfortable pair of shoes, your feet will be hurt.\
Short itinerary of Kedarnath Trek
Day 1 - Pickup to you from Haridwar to Sonprayag,fhata (235 km) (7/8 Hours) Overnight stay Hotel
Day 2 - Sonprayag to Gaurikund (5.5 km) and Kedarnath Trek (16.5 km ) (7/8 Hours) Overnight stay Hotel
Day 3 - kedarnath to Gaurikund (16.5 km) (5/6 Hours) and Rudraprayag (75 km) (2/3 Hours) Overnight stay Hotel
Day 4 - Rudraprayag to Haridwar Railway station by drop group (163 km) ( 4/5 Hours)
Note: – Our service will remain from Haridwar to Haridwar – for more details please check includes or excludes
- Transport Facility from Rishikesh to Rishikesh
- Forest Permit and entrance fee
- Accommodation in Hotel on twin share basis
- All meals: breakfast, packed lunch, tea, coffee, snacks, soup and Dinner
- Good Experience Local Trek Leader guide and Technical guide
- Medical Kit
- Oxygen Cylinders
- Personal Insurance
- Medical Certificate
- Personal toiletry Items
- Personal Medicine kit